Cori's Big Mouth has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://corisbigmouth.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

Wow, it has been 8 years now since the attacks in New York City at the World Trade Centers, the Pentagon and then the plane that went down in Pennsylvania.  I still remember that day, like it was yesterday...I remember where I was, what I was doing, this was the first (and only) major disaster that I have witnessed.  The only thing that I can think of that comes close was the Columbine School Shooting. 

I remember Kerstin B. walking into the Byer's home where Seminary was held and telling us about the first plane crash into the World Trade Center.  I remember thinking, odd, but I don't think we really did anything at that point.  After seminary they turned on the television and we got our first look at the destruction.  I was a Sophomore and we spent the remainder of the day watching the news.  I remember watching CNN live when the second plane hit.  I remember the tears, the fears and all the uncertainty we all felt.  Even as depressing, gruesome and sad as it was I couldn't pull myself away from the news.  I watched it endlessly for days.  It was all people talked about, it was all we thought about. 

That night I went with Charity & the girls to her friends house, who's parents were visiting from another country, and I remember them saying they didn't think they would be going home the next day.  I remember cleaning the girls' playroom and listening to Marcus D. on Kiss 106.1, and their moment of silence they had.  It's all so vivid, burned into my mind. I didn't lose anyone in the attacks, I didn't even know anybody who did, and yet I felt personally connected to every single person, every American. 

Do you remember the American Flags, the American Pride that we felt, the unity that our country underwent immediately?  It was amazing...

Here is a beautiful tribute that someone posted on YouTube- You may want to grab a tissue before you watch though.

So now that I have all of you feeling sad and nostalgic,  I might as well close this post with my favorite song that was written to honor all those lost in the attacks.

Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)
 By: Alan Jackson

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day.  Out in the yard with your wife and children Working on some stage in LA.  Did you stand there in shock at the site of  That black smoke rising against that blue sky.

Did you shout out in anger In fear for your neighbor Or did you just sit down and cry? Did you weep for the children Who lost their dear loved ones And pray for the ones who don't know. Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble And sob for the ones left below.

Did you burst out in pride For the red white and blue. The heroes who died just doing what they do. Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer, And look at yourself to what really matters?

I'm just a singer of simple songs I'm not a real political man I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you The difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus and I talk to God And I remember this from when I was young Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us. And the greatest is love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day? Teaching a class full of innocent children. Driving down some cold interstate. Did you feel guilty cause you're a survivor In a crowded room did you feel alone ? Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her Did you dust off that bible at home?

Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened Close your eyes and not go to sleep? Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages. Speak with some stranger on the street. Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow Go out and buy you a gun? Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watching And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns. Did you go to a church and hold hands with some stranger. Stand in line and give your own blood. Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family Thank God you had somebody to love.

I'm just a singer of simple songs I'm not a real political man, I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you The difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus and I talk to God And I remember this from when I was young Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us And the greatest is love

I'm just a singer of simple songs I'm not a real political man I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you The difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus and I talk to God And I remember this from when I was young Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us And the greatest is love,  The greatest is love, The greatest is love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?

I can honestly say, I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!! 


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails