Cori's Big Mouth has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://corisbigmouth.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

MEDRIX Auction

Photobucket

MEDRIX: Medical ♦ Education ♦ Development of Resourses ♦ International eXchange

So last night I went to an auction benefiting MEDRIX. The only reason I went was the SPU associate dean of the nursing program invited any interested pre-nursing students & nursing students to attend and sit at her table. So my main intention of going was to suck up, schmooze & get my name out there. In addition to the associate dean, Dr. Henshaw, the dean of the nursing program was there, two insturctors and a handful of past students. So that was really cool that I got to introduce myself to them and eat dinner with them in somewhat of an intimiate setting. It was almost like getting a 'mini interview', so that made it totally worth it!

A few days a go I got an email from another student who wanted to attend but didn't have a car asking if she could have a ride. I happily obliged because I figured at least then I'd have someone to hang out with during the event! So I picked up Angie about 4:15 from SPU and we headed to the event in Medina at the Overlake Country Club & Golf Course. Neither one of us had any idea what we were should expect for the event, but we were game to go. Oh and Angie is in the nursing program now, so it was nice to be able to pick her brain on the application process, what she recommended and learned - so that was really helpful!

We arrived a few minutes before 5:00 (when it officially started) and then had basically an hour and a half to wander around. We quickly bid on a few items we were interested in, in the end I was the only 'winner' with one item for my grandma's birthday gift. Then sat down in a seating area to read more about Medrix. While we were sitting, Dr. Henshaw came over and sat with us and we chatted about MEDRIX and what it was, we also got to meet the MEDRIX Board President & also the CEO. The Board President came over and gave us an indepth explantion of what MEDRIX is...

MEDRIX saves lives and improves the quality of life for countless families in Southeast Asia by providing Medical Resources, Education, Safe Water Development, and Clinic Refurbishments.

They send doctors, nurses, social workers, teachers, paramedics, etc. down to Vietnam to teach medical personnel about better methods of medicine, cleanliness and assist with operations for patients down there (heart surgery's for example). They also teach local schools, children and other people of Vietnam about how important safewater is (high percentage of children that die in Vietnam is due to dehydration caused from diahrea from the un-safewater) and provide nutrition training for the people of Vietnam.

I was really impressed and moved by this company. SPU became involved with MEDRIX through their nursing program. Each spring SPU sends 10 of their nursing students to Vietnam with MEDRIX for 5-weeks to due one of their rotations. The SPU nursing students not only get a chance to work with Vietnamese doctors, nurses, and many more - but also learn more about less fortunate countries and how they can help. SPU was also named the MEDRIX "2008 Hero's Award" for all their help and support! So that was a really neat thing to be apart of.

So I went to this auction with the thought of - I DON'T WANT TO GO and only going to get to spend time with the nursing instructors who will decide my fate, but learned a whole lot and ended up really enjoying my time. I am now thinking that maybe (shocking I know) I want to go to Vietnam while I'm in the nursing program. So we shall see! It was a really amazing night and I had a lot of fun!

Comment:
Erin: Sounds very exciting lol

Originally Posted on Myspace Blog

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails