Cori's Big Mouth has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://corisbigmouth.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Media and Communication Studies (MCS)

After numerous pushes into this direction, I’ve finally decided to apply to the University of Washington-Bothell and get my bachelors degree in Media & Communication Studies.  The program at UW-Bothell looks pretty awesome, here’s the blurb from their website regarding the program…

The Media and Communication Studies (MCS) option in the Interdisciplinary Studies major combines a rich grounding in media and communication theory and history with hands-on opportunities to engage in media practice and production.  The option challenges students to become critical practitioners by developing the intellectual capacities and practical skills needed to communicate through new media formats.

MCS coursework integrates theory and practice through media production workshops, classroom seminars, and community-based projects. The curriculum enables students to hone their skills as media critics and practitioners by drawing connections across diverse social, cultural, and scientific areas of inquiry and professional sectors. 

MCS prepares students for graduate study in Communication, Media Studies, and Cultural Studies, among many others fields, and lays the groundwork for future careers in electronic media broadcasting, non-broadcasting audio and video production, advertisement, public relations, or communication education(UW-Bothell Media & Communication Degree)

I’ve had a lot of interest in this degree the last year after numerous people have told me “your really are a great writer, you should be a writer”.  However I really don’t want to be a ‘writer’ per say, I like more of the media and communications aspects, PR, Publicity, Blogs, Online Groups, etc.  I don’t want to be come a journalist (at least not right now), so I was excited to see how much I could do with this degree.

I met with an admissions counselor at UW-Bothell on Monday, and she didn’t think I’d have to hard of a time getting into the school.  I’m one quarter short of a foreign language, so I plan this summer to take it at BCC, and then be ready to start at UW-Bothell in the Media and Communications program in the fall! 

I started working on my application, and just have to write the Personal Statement and collect transcripts from all the schools I’ve been at.  I’m slowly making progress, so here I go …

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails